Monday, November 22, 2010

No, I Will Not Make You A Sandwich

"Now, make me a sammich!"

Considering all of the feculent memes and jokes that the internet as spawned, it is no surprise that domestic abuse would crop up as some thing to laugh about. But, just because no one is shocked to see these kinds of jokes on the internet does not mean that it is okay to make them.

And I just want to say, just because you laughed at or made a sammich joke does not make you a terrible person. You were just hit by a stick of douche baggery. And who has not been hit by the douche baggery stick?

You were still a douche though. And I forgive you. Kay?

Now, why am I writing about this?

Because it bugs the hell out of me! Why? Because when I see a "make me sammich joke" I feel sick inside. I feel, well, objectified. It tells me that "I suck" because I am a woman. And it scares me. That there are people out there who think that telling me to shut up and take in the ass is a joke.

And I realize that it is supposed to be funny. But it is not. It makes me, and other girls feel threatened and degraded.

But it is black comedy! you may cry. Sure, it is. But, when it comes to black humor, use your best judgment. I can laugh at death. Because everyone is going to face it! Even you! yes you. And, hell, Death is not going to mind if we laugh at her. She may join in!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, chauvinism. The great pollution of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no kidding. along with a ton of other social ills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The comic spirit is given to us in order that we may analyze, weigh, and clarify things in us which nettle us, or which we are outgrowing, or trying to reshape."
    -Thornton Wilder

    ReplyDelete